2014 Moral Freedom Summer Organizer Fellowship
The centerpiece initiative this summer will be a 12 week deep organizing plan that places 50 highly-trained paid Moral Freedom Summer organizers in local communities across the state to deepen and strengthen the Forward Together Moral Movement. The program will last approximately 12 weeks, from May 15th to August 2nd.
- Work with the local NAACP branch, youth council, and partner organizations to carry out a voter empowerment plan, including coordinating volunteer teams to engage in intensive, long-term, issue-based voter registration drives, attend and document county Board of Election debates, and monitor election changes.
- Work with the local NAACP branch, youth council, and partner organizations to build local people’s assemblies and Moral Monday mobilizations focused on deepening long-term alliances in labor, civil rights, LGBT, immigrant, youth, and faith communities.
- Learn about and support a local campaign around one of the NC NAACP’s and NC Youth and College Division’s 5 Game Changers: Defending and expanding voting rights, women’s rights, and immigrant rights; well-funded, equitable public education; health care and environmental protections for all; equal protection under the law and addressing police and gang violence; and fighting for economic justice including living wages, full employment, and union rights.
- Develop and support youth-of-color leadership including cultural organizing that celebrates and uplifts historical and current contributions of people of color in the United States.
- Meet regularly and be advised by a community advisor as well as an advisory team of youth council, adult branch, and community leaders and local organizers.
- Attend a week-long orientation and two in-person training retreats throughout the summer.
- Have a passion for social, economic and political justice in North Carolina.
- Have strong communication skills.
- Have work or living experience with community organizing, outreach and coalition building.
- Be able to take self initiative and work independently as well as work in teams.
- Be comfortable working with diverse populations including low-income, racial minorities, rural and urban communities, high school and college students, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
- Native North Carolinians, students, people of color, LGBT people, and Spanish-speakers are encouraged to apply.
Organizers can expect irregular hours due to the nature of community organizing.
The mission of the NC NAACP is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. In the summer of 2014, NC NAACP State Conference and NC NAACP Youth & College Division will honor the 50th Anniversary of Mississippi Freedom Summer and continue the Forward Together Moral Movement by leading a statewide North Carolina Moral Freedom Summer. This summer will bring together a broad and diverse collective of partners and North Carolina based organizing efforts aimed at building a long-term transformative fusion movement in our state.
How to Apply:
Please submit the attached application form by May 2, 2014. Applications will be reviewed when received and on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. Early submission of applications is encouraged.
NC NAACP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, persons with disabilities, and Spanish speakers are particularly urged to apply.
FORWARD TOGETHER, NOT ONE STEP BACK!
Special Thanks to Dr. Glenda Clare for Networking this information.