He was recently honored by the National Development and Research Institutes, Inc. (NDRI) and presented with the Lifetime Contribution Award by Dr. H. Westley Clark, MD, and Mr. Joseph Lunievicz at The Masonic Temple on at 71 West 23rd Street, NY, NY.
Dr. Beny J. Primm is the co-founder of Addiction Research Treatment Corporation (Now known as SMART)served as its Executive Director for more than 40 years, and as President of the Urban Resource Institute since its creation in1980. Selected by four U.S. Presidents to serve as a consultant on a variety of substance abuse and public health issues, he was appointed to the Commission on AIDS by President Ronald Reagan, selected as the first Director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment of the US Department of Health and Human Services by President George Bush, and named U.S. Representative on issues of drug addiction and AIDS to the World Health Organization in Geneva.
The upscale event in the Flatiron District of Manhattan was filled with former colleagues, friends and men and women mentored by Dr. Primm. NDRI is a an extraordinary research leader in the field which made the award very special as it recognized Dr. Primm as a humanitarian with tenacity as a research scientist.
The welcome and introduction of the Board was by Sy Demsky, President of NDRI-USA, former Executive Director of Narcotics Rehabilitation Center at The Mount Sinai Medical Center.
The primary mission of NDRI was presented by executive director, Joseph Lunievicz. NDRI’s mission is to advance scientific knowledge in the areas of substance abuse, mental health, HIV/AIDS, and other related social and health concerns in order to contribute to the prevention and solution of these social problems. National Development and Research Institutes, Inc. NDRI established in 1967 is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt non-governmental agency. It includes social science researchers, outreach community workers, and trainers. NDRI is governed by a Board of Directors who come from diverse backgrounds including health care providers, community leaders, criminal justice professionals, financial experts, and social science researchers.
According to the Speakers Dr. Beny Primm Has a Long and Distinguished Research… and Treatment… Background AND He… May Have Been the First to Conceptualized the Interdisciplinary Idea of “One-Stop” Denoting the Overlapping Interests of Different Fields of Medicine and Science i.e. Drug Treatment and Related Diseases!
- H. Westley Clark, MD, JD, MPH, CAS FASAM, Director, SAMSHA, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Washington DC.,
- Commissioner Arlene Gonzalez-Sanchez,MS, LMSW, Commissioner of OASAS, New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services,
- Herbert Kieber, MD, Director Substance Abuse Division, Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center,
- Lawrence Brown, MD, Executive Director SMART (ARTC),
- Joyce H. Lowinson, MD, Professor Emeritus, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Albert Einstein College of Medicine,
- Jerome H. Jaffe, MD, Clinical Professor, University of Maryland, and former Drug Commissioner appointed by President Richard Nixon, Special Action Office of Drug Abuse Prevention,
- Mary Jeanne Kreek, MD, Senior Attending Physician, Patrick E. and Beatrice M. Haggerty Professor, Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, Rockefeller University,
- Mark W. Porrino, MPA President of AATOD, American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence, Inc.
NDRI – USA Board of Directors
Natalie Becker, PhD, President
Erik M. Bagin, Vice President
James H. Ruitenberg, CPA, Treasurer
Reverend Peter Young, M.Theo, DHL, Secretary
Jeffrey Foote, PhD
Jeffrey J. Kraft, MBA
Mark Parrino, MPA
Andrew Rosenblum, PhD
Special Assistant to the Board of Directors
Read more on Dr. Primm
Read more on NDRI
71 West 23rd Street, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10010, Ph: 212.845.4400 Fax: 917.438.0894
Read more on SMART
22 Chapel Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 | 718.260.2900